Have you taken your flu shots for this season? If not, hurry and vaccinate yourself to lessen the risk of catching influenza and its complications. A few precautions may help you stay away from respiratory infections.
Influenza is a respiratory disease that may cause severe intricacies to your respiratory system, particularly if you suffer from any medical conditions, a child, or an older adult. Although the efficiency rate isn’t a cent percent, it is proven that the chances of risk of contracting influenza lower considerably with the vaccine.
Why take the Flu Vaccine every year?
- With the intake of vaccines, our immune system creates antibodies to fight the virus injected via vaccine; that’s precisely how a vaccine works. However, with time, the antibody level may also fall, which makes it crucial for you to take another dose every other year.
- Besides, the flu virus may also evolve quickly, making the previous year’s vaccine hollow. Hence, make sure to take the new flu vaccine released annually.
Who should take the flu vaccine?
Although the flu vaccine is recommended for everyone above six months of age, the following category is at higher risk of developing influenza and its complications.
- Pregnant women
- Older adults
- Younger children
- People with weakened immune systems
- People with chronic medical conditions like asthma, cancer, diabetes, heart diseases, COPD, HIV, kidney/liver disease, cystic fibrosis, obesity, etc.
Who should not take the flu vaccine?
- Children below six months
- People with severe allergies
- People with Guillain-Barré Syndrome (GBS)
- People who are not well or have any other chronic diseases are recommended to consult the doctor before taking the vaccine.
The flu vaccine is generally available as an injection and a nasal spray, which, however, is not recommended for pregnant women, children below two years, and adults above 50 years. Get yourself vaccinated without delay from clinics that deliver vaccination services in Dubai.